Mon, Mar 28|
#VisibleWomen Day March 28, 2022
#VisibleWomen is an initiative with a two-fold goal: to raise the profiles of women* the comic book industry and to make it easier for hiring professionals in comics and related industries to make diverse hires. *VW welcomes folks of any marginalized gender who are comfortable under our banner.
Time & Location
Mar 28, 2022, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM PDT
About the event
We’re doing another round of #VisibleWomen on March 28, 2022.
As always, we’re accepting submissions from women* currently working or seeking employment in Comics Publishing and its related industries in the following roles: artists, colorists, letterers, inkers, editors and writers.
So you have time to prepare, it works like this:
Tweet your portfolio link(s) in the appropriate format below with the hashtag #VisibleWomen. Between the hours of 9am and 5pm PST, we will signal boost appropriately-formatted tweets from Kelly Sue DeConnick's Twitter account and, more importantly, add your info to the #VisibleWomen spreadsheet, which is available free of charge to any hiring professional in Comics Publishing or related industries.
The goals of the initiative are to raise the visibility of women in our industry and to get you work.
Here are the templates for tweets that will get you added to our spreadsheet:
- IF YOU ARE AN ARTIST: I’m [your professional name – even if it matches your Twitter handle], I DRAW [a couple words about style or titles of works you’ve done] & my portfolio is at [link/links]. I also [color/letter/flat/write]. #VisibleWomen
- IF YOU ARE A LETTERER: I’m [your professional name – even if it matches your Twitter handle], I LETTER[ED] [title of book(s)]. Resumé & work samples are online at [link/links]. #VisibleWomen
- IF YOU ARE A COLORIST: I’m [your professional name – even if it matches your Twitter handle], I COLOR[ED] [title of book(s)]. Resumé & work samples are online at [link/links]. [I also flat for other colorists.] #VisibleWomen
- IF YOU ARE AN INKER: I’m [your professional name – even if it matches your Twitter handle], I INK[ED] [title of book(s)]. Resumé & work samples are online at [link/links]. [I also pencil.] #VisibleWomen
- IF YOU ARE A WRITER OR EDITOR: I’m [your professional name – even if it matches your Twitter handle], I WRITE/EDIT [title of book(s)], which is available online at [link/links]. [My resumé with more of my work is LINK.] #VisibleWomen
280 characters is not a lot, so if you can include a word or two about your style, GREAT! If not, give us enough to get us started.
If you just want the signal boost for readers or visibility, you can play looser with the format. For instance, “My name is [name], I’m the cartoonist behind the webcomic [name and link]. We’re a [mecha/horror/romance] – check us out! #VisibleWomen”
IMPORTANT: SELF SUBMISSIONS ONLY. It’s GREAT that you want to support your friends, but do not submit for them. We don’t want to risk signal-boosting someone who does not yet feel ready. Cool? Cool.
Join us on Twitter on March 28, 2022.
* #VisibleWomen is intended to raise the profiles of women** comic creators, but we also welcome (and have always welcomed) non-binary creators too. If you identify as “not male” are comfortable under our banner and would like to participate, please do!
** Because we’ve gotten the question every time we’ve done this, yes, trans women are welcome. Trans women are women. We also welcome short women and tall women. We're not here to add to anyone’s anxiety around gender identity.